Thursday, October 4, 2012

Complete Surrender

 When people talk about fully submitting to God, I always think, "well, that can't be too hard" HA! 

 It seems so simple that God should ask something of us, and we would just say yes, and do it.  

 God says to Trust and Obey... in those two words He gives us more than we can handle. Which causes us to run to Him for strength, and courage.  That's His purpose. That's what He's wanting us to do.  Will we do it? 

Refrain:
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.

But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.


Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet.
Or we'll walk by His side in the way.
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.



 Some of us take more trials than others. 
 We all look at others and think they have it easier. Well, they don't. 
 Some can internalize it, to where it doesn't look like they have struggles.  But they have just as hard of trials as the rest of us.  And some have harder; that's why they pull inside.  

 The other day I was praying over my trials.  Asking for strength to give up my dreams... then it hit me.
 I'm hanging on to other peoples dreams.  I'm willing to let go of mine; but am I willing to let go of theirs? 
 I can't live someone else's dream. I can't revive their dream for them.  I have to let it go.

 Then this song comes to mind. 

 ONLY A SHADOW
by Rev Carey Landry

The Love I have for you my Lord
is only a shadow of your love for me
Only a shadow of your love for me
Your deep and abiding love.

My own belief in you my Lord
is only a shadow of your faith in me
Only a shadow of your faith in me
your deep and lasting faith.

My life is in your hands my Lord
My life is in your hands my lord
My love for you will grow my God
Your light in me will always shine

The dream I have today my lord
Is only a shadow of your dreams my Lord for me
Only a shadow of all that will be
if I but follow you Lord.


The joy I feel today my lord
Is only a shadow of your Joys for me.
Only a shadows of your joys for me
when we meet face to face. 

 When I prayed for the strength to give up those dreams, God asked me to give up not only the dreams, but the person they belong to... I said I would. 

 Then He showed me how I had not given without reserve... He started asking me if I would be willing to go on without those dreams.  If I would be willing to let God do whatever He saw fit, through them.  I said I would. 

 Then He asked me if He were to take them away, and the person with them... in the way He did Wallace? ... and shame to me... I told Him no! I said He couldn't do that.

 Then He said... "But you just gave them to me. What makes you think it's your choice? Did you give them unreservedly?"
 I had to say "no" again... I hadn't. 

 Yes, maybe it all was a test. Yes, maybe He isn't going to take them in that way. Maybe He isn't going to use them for the kind of mighty work He did in Wallace... but whatever He plans, am I standing in the way? 
 Yes, I have been. 

 And who's to say He won't do those things?  Maybe He will... but I have to be willing to follow Him no matter the outcome. 

 He asked complete surrender.  I thought I knew what that was... until I experienced it.  

 There is no way to describe complete surrender.  One has to experience it for themselves.  But are we standing in the way of that experience? 

 When God asks something of us, do we do lip service, and say we will do it; but inwardly are we keeping it tucked away in hopes of it reviving? 

 I was. I was hanging on to those dreams... in hopes that one day they would come to pass. 

 I finally gave in, and gave up... He has been bringing me to this point for years... and I was fighting Him.  I was determined to win, or to die trying. 
 Well, the other day I laid down my arms and surrendered.  
 But I will still die trying... I will die to self, trying to follow Him.   That's been His goal for me all along. I saw it; I said I was doing it... but I was still fighting. 

 God won.  And oh! the peace that came to me, after so long of struggling. After so long of trying to measure up, and trying to "fit in" and "make something of myself" I gave up.  
 Now there is a peace that passes understanding.  A peace the world never gave, and the world cannot take away. 

 He's been asking me if I could trust Him.  Yes. I can. We all can. 

 Now He's asking us to really do it... not just know that He's trustworthy; but to really trust Him. 

 God never moves without purpose or plan
 When trying His servant, and molding a man.
 Give thanks to the Lord, tho' your testing seems long 
 In darkness He giveth a song. 

 I could not see through the shadows ahead
 So I looked at the cross of my Savior instead. 
 I bowed to the will of the Master that day,
Then peace came, and tears fled away.

 Now I can see, testing comes from above
 God strengthens His children, and purges in love.
 My Father knows best, and I trust in His care
 Through purging more fruit I will bear.

 Oh rejoice in the Lord
 He makes no mistake
 He knoweth the end of each path that I take
 For when I am tried, and purified
 I shall come forth as gold. 

 Rejoice in the trials. They're meant for our good.  

 No, we may not see the reason for them.  We may never know the reason until we pass from this world to the next.  
 But He will see us through every one of them.  He has a plan in every one of them that is beyond our imagination. 

 Hang in there.  Trust Him.  Obey Him.  Surrender, stop fighting.  Give in, and give up.  And see what He does through you. 

 Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in You.” (Psalm 84:11-12) 


  In the service of my Father. 
               Hallie

No comments:

Post a Comment