Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Faith... Looks Different Than I Thought

 We've all heard "faith steps out on the water": but what if it takes faith to stay in the boat.....?

 Peter was called out on the water - none of the others were.  We're not all a Peter. God didn't call the others out - because He had a reason for them to stay on the boat.
 What would have happened if when God called Peter to walk on the water, everyone stepped out?   They weren't called - they very possibly would have sunk.

 Could we sometimes be guilty of claiming someone else's calling, and wondering why it doesn't work for us....? 
 God is under no obligation to support us in something He's called someone else to do.  He calls each of us differently.

 Conversely; we see God on the "water", we know that's where we need to be, so just jump out before He calls.  Would we not sink then?  Not because it's not right to "step out", but because it's the wrong time.

 I get antsy. I want to move ahead with my life, and do what I know is my calling, and so I dive in - expecting God will pull me out if I sink. But it's not His timing. He hasn't said "come" yet.

 What if, instead of jumping out and running across the waves to Christ, faith means staying in the boat and trusting He won't let it sink. Serving Him quietly on the ship, trusting He put you there for a reason.

 Faith is hard: in, or out, of the boat.

2 comments:

  1. Very true. Some of it is a timing issue too - God provides us challenges when our faith is ready, and shields us from trials we are not ready for. Jesus did this with Peter and the apostles (John 18:7-9) by shielding them from facing the same charges as Him, but we know later they would walk bravely to their deaths. I've been listening to the book The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. She talks about her father's example to her of faith to weather trials being like a 'train ticket' that is given right before boarding the train, so it is bought before hand but given at the right time. I find that's a really deep analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's profound. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete